Over 800 families from Moldova will receive free smoke detectors. The expenses of the project are covered 70% by the state, while the rest 30% by investments from local authorities. The announcement was made today by Minister of Internal Affairs, Alexandru Jizdan, at the launch of "Protected house - Protected life" campaign.
"Unfortunately hundreds of people die in Republic of Moldova due to fires. Usually carelessness is to blame, while in other cases ignorance for fire safety. All fires registered since the beginning of the year have set into motion the institutions responsible for citizen's safety. We will work hard to stop such tragedies from happening " Minister of Internal Affairs, Alexandru Jizdan declared.
300 City Halls have already agreed to cooperate.
Last week, PDM president, Vlad Plahotniuc, urged authorities from the Government to come up with solutions to lessen the number of death caused by fire.
PDM's leader requested for poor families to be offered free installation of smoke detectors that could possibility prevent tragedies.
Since the beginning of the year, firefighters received 232 calls. Some fires burst from explosions, due to gas leak, or were caused by faulty fireplaces.
It resulted into 32 people passing away, among whom counts 2 children.
According to data from General Inspectorate for Emergency Situations, only last year, over 1 600 fires were registered.
The damages caused by flames reaching to 58 million lei.