Catalonia: Carles Puigdemont accuses Spanish government of ‘worst attacks’ since dictatorship

Catalan premier Carles Puigdemont has delivered a scathing response to Mariano Rajoy’s hardhitting plans for direct rule in the troubled region, calling them the “worst attack on Catalan institutions since the dictator General Franco ordered the end of our autonomy”.

“What we decide through voting is to be wiped out by the government in their offices,” Mr Puigdemont claimed. 

He said the Catalan parliament would hold an emergency debate on “this attempt to destroy our autonomous government, our democracy”.

Also speaking in Spanish and English, he described Catalonia as “an ancient democratic nation” and claimed that the EU’s “founding values” were at risk.

Earlier on Saturday, Mr Rajoy had outlined plans that would see the region’s separatist leaders removed from office, including Mr Puigdemont, and the local parliament stripped of much of its power. 

In a significant upping of the stakes in his bid to rein in the region’s pro-independence rulers, Mr Rajoy has said that although the Catalan parliament will not be dissolved immediately, its functions will be limited to “avoid measures contrary to the constitution”. 

Ministries in Madrid will oversee the management of the Catalan administration, as well as directing the Catalan local police forces and, probably, the region’s public television and radio channels.

The Nationalist movement was, predictably, in an uproar at their imminent loss of regional power. An estimated 450,000 people attended a major demonstration in Barcelona, which initially asked for the freedom of two jailed separatists but merged with protests against direct rule.

It is also strongly rumoured that the Nationalist coalition will vote for Catalonia to break away from Spain in parliament next Friday, the same day that Madrid’s measures are expected to be confirmed by the Senate

Read more Independent

Lasă un comentariu